Recipe for BBQ Pork Poutine with Brie and Fried Onion Crisps

Recipe for BBQ Pork Poutine

Sunday was Valentine’s Day. And while most people are preparing chocolate, cheese, seafood, heart shaped pizzas, we decided our Valentine’s Day dinner was going to be poutine. This was in part because our last minute attempt to travel to Canada over the weekend didn’t quite pan out. So instead, we decided to bring the poutine to us. Poutine is traditionally prepared as french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. I wasn’t sure how this recipe would turn out and with a few different components, it took about an hour in total. But when it was all said and done, it was worth every minute.

This recipe offers a slight twist to the traditional Canadian poutine. It’s made with bbq pork and creamy brie.

Ingredients

  • 1-2 lb Pork Loin
  • 1/2 cup Ketchup
  • 1/2 cup Sriracha
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (optional)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1 tbsp Ground Mustard
  • 1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 Yellow Onion
  • 1 1/2 cup Flour
  • 6-12 oz Beer (any kind you prefer)
  • 4 tsp Corn Starch
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne
  • 3-4 Large Potatoes (Russet, Yellow, Yukon)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
  • 1 Wedge Brie Cheese (about 1-2 cups chopped)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Recipe for BBQ Pork:

  1. In a mixing bowl combine ketchup, sriracha, worcestershire, brown sugar, garlic, liquid smoke, vinegar, ground mustard, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
  2. Add the pork loin to a slow cooker. Pour sauce over pork to coat fully.
  3. Cover slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low.
  4. When meat is fully cooked, remove from slow cooker and shred.
  5. Finish the BBQ sauce by pouring excess sauce from slow cooker into saucepan. In a separate bowl combine 2 tsp corn starch and 1 tbsp water. Whisk corn starch mixture into bbq mixture on stove. Heat until simmering, stirring often until sauce begins to thicken (about 5 minutes). When thick, remove from heat and cool until slightly warmer than room temperature

Recipe for BBQ Pork

Recipe for Homemade French Fries

  1. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
  2. Scrub potatoes and slice into wedges.
  3. In a large bowl toss potatoes, 2 tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Arrange potato wedges in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes develop a golden brown, crunchy texture on the outside.

Recipe for Potato Wedges

Recipe for Beer Battered Fried Onion Crisps

  1. Peel and slice onion into 1/2 inch rings
  2. Set paper towel on a plate to drain fried onion crisps
  3. Place 1/2 cup flour in a mixing bowl
  4. In a separate mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 2 tsp corn starch, cayenne, salt, and pepper
  5. Slowly add 6 oz of beer and whisk to combine until the foam subsides. If mixture is too thick to dip the onions, keep adding 3 oz until the texture is right for dipping.
  6. Toss the onions in the flour mixture and then dip in beer batter
  7. Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in pan and fry onions until crisp adding more oil if needed (5-10 minutes)
  8. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.

Recipe for Onion Rings

Preparing the Poutine

  1. On a large serving platter, arrange french fries, topped with shredded pork, chopped brie, and onion crisps. Finish the poutine with drizzled bbq sauce.

Brie

Enjoy!

Scroll to Top