After making Chicago our home for several years now, we’ve really come to admire all the kid-friendly events and activities the city has to offer. We’re constantly finding new, fun places to explore. So when we heard about the Chicago Toy & Game Fair of course we wanted to participate. Our little one has become an adventurous toddler who likes to run, jump, crawl, and climb over everything and everyone. So when we find places where she can do so in a contained environment, it’s a win-win. And we figure, there are probably lots of other parents out there with the same priorities. So here are the basic details.
Where, When, and What
Where: For us to go downtown these days, it takes a lot. We love the idea of being downtown, it’s just the traffic and parking, etc. I know – how suburban of us. But, it’s the truth. And for the right event, we’ll make the trek. The Chicago Toy & Game Fair is being held at Navy Pier. And after learning more about the event, it’s totally worth the commute down.
It also doesn’t hurt that SpotHero has special discounted rates for the event if you’re driving. Just go here and enter “CHITAG” to get $5 off.
When: November 18-19. You can attend for one or both days. And before you pull out your calendar to check, it’s not the same weekend as Thanksgiving.
What: In a nutshell, the hottest games and toys all in one room. And it’s for all ages. We’ll go into more detail, but the general idea here is that your kids can preview, play, and test out toys from around the world. Some of the toys you will see are Legos, Build or Boom, Shark Bite, Catch the Fox, Rummikub Twist, Fish Food, Doggie Doo, Greedy Granny, Ultra Dash, Marbleocity, Automoblox, Magformers, Tileblox, Clicformers, Ice Cool, King Frog, Reef Route, Woo-Hoo, Flower Fairies, Peter Rabbit Secret Garden, 8-Bit Art Mario and more. In addition to testing out toys, kids can meet toy and game inventors, take pictures with Star Wars characters and Princess Etch, and enjoy live stage events.
What Else Can I Do?
In addition to dedicated play areas for your kids, here’s a rundown of the other highlights:
- National Yo-Yo Championship – professional Yo-Yo’ers. This takes places on Saturday.
- Giant Soggy Doggy – what’s more fun than giving your kids a chance to get soaked by this big guy.
- Photos with your favorite Star Wars characters
- Holiday Shopping – this one is big. you’ll have access to exclusive discounts on some of the hottest toys of the season. And you’ll get some shopping done early.
- Entertainment – Ben’s Bubble Show, Mercy Magic, Princess Etch, etc.
- Interactive Exhibits – hands-on activities for the kiddos like a marble coaster, automoblox build and race, and make your own fairy garden.
- Festival of Lights Parade – while not technically part of the Chicago Toy & Game Fair, it’s nearby. And it’s very convenient to take the kids after a full day of play.
- Giveaways – who doesn’t love to win things? You’ll have the chance to win some of the toys and games you see at the fair.
Win a Family Weekend Pass to the
Chicago Toy & Game Fair!
Speaking of giveaways, we’re starting the party early with 3 family weekend passes. You can win one of these passes, which is good for 2 adults and up to 4 kids. If you’d prefer to get your tickets now, we have a 50% off discounts for our readers. Register here and use the code “ChiTAGPLAY” (you can also click the direct link below the giveaway).