8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home

8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter
8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

You’re pregnant with a toddler at home. You’re exhausted. Your toddler doesn’t care. Your toddler wants to play and play and play and play. And you just can’t say no, because well, your toddler is a great negotiator.

Pregnancy has been wonderful so far, albeit super exhausting, but nothing like the first one. Last time, if I wanted to take a nap… I could take a nap. I could go to bed early or sleep in as needed. But now, not a chance. And not that I’d want to! I love chasing our tiny human around. Exhausting as it is, I love being pregnant with a toddler running around.

So, how do you survive being pregnant with a toddler at home?

8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

Plan it out.

Remember the first pregnancy? You probably had the name picked out, nursery decorated, crib purchased and assembled, changing table ready, and all the laundry done by 20 weeks. This kid? Well, probably not. At least for us, uncertainty can be a bit stressful. Take some time to talk about what you need to accomplish well ahead of time so you can relax a bit.

  • Who will watch your toddler when you go into labor?
  • Pick a name. And stick with it. Maybe.
  • How long of leave will you and your partner take?
  • What items do you need new of? What can you re-use?
  • Start some freezer meal prep as time gets closer.
8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

Give yourself an out.

You’re tired. You are getting bigger. You’re moving slower. Seems pretty obvious, right? Well, sometimes we put a bit too much pressure on ourselves. It’s okay to let the house be cluttered for a day or two and instead go to bed when the kiddo goes to bed. Plus, you probably have a wonderful partner at home to take some work off your plate.

Giving yourself a break is key to getting through being pregnant with a toddler running around.

8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

Ask for help.

And how do you give yourself a break? Ask for help! Spouse, parents, friends, neighbor. If you need help or a break, just ask. Who is going to say no to a cute pregnant lady asking for a hand? No one. No one will say no.

And you better not say no if someone offers to help out of the blue.

8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

Time to learn independence.

Toddler has to learn sometime! An important human skill is having the ability to entertain oneself. They don’t have to go to their room and play on their own, but certainly you should be able to sit on the couch while little one plays. And while they’re off on their own, try not to worry about the mess. Remember: it’s okay to have a bit of clutter. We’ll survive.

8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

Take care of yourself.

“If you are traveling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your mask on first, and then assist the other person.”

There’s a reason the flight attendant asks you to put your own mask on before helping others. Because if you pass out first, you can’t help anyone else! So take some time for yourself to keep your sanity. Spa, bath, movie night, etc. Whatever you have to do!

8 Tips to Survive Being Pregnant with a Toddler at Home | Bottles and Banter

Take care of your marriage.

Life’s about to get crazy. Well, crazier. So take some time as a couple while you still can. It’s easier to find a babysitter for one toddler than a toddler and a newborn. Go out to dinner and a movie, just the two of you.

Even better? See if you can’t find a way to go on a little babymoon. A long weekend with just you and your partner to recharge your batteries and be ready for that newborn life again.

Stay active.

If you want to be active, you have to stay active. Walking, if you can find the time/place to do it, will certainly keep you loose and less sore. Cardio workouts are beneficial during birth. At least that’s what they say. But most importantly, when you get home from work, make sure you keep moving around. Don’t sit down on that couch because you will fall asleep instantly.

Our Secondary Infertility Journey

Take a nap.

Just kidding about the comment about sitting down on the couch right after work. Go ahead and take a nap whenever you can! You’re growing a human and you deserve it. How else can you expect to survive being pregnant with a toddler?!

We want to know: how are you going to survive being pregnant with a toddler running around at home?

Tell us in the comments below!

Scroll to Top