Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe

Balsamic Grilled Cheese

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter

I must admit, grilled cheese is one of my all time favorite foods. It’s easy to make and involves cheese. What more could you ask for? Well, in honor of National Grilled Cheese Month (yes, it does exist because grilled cheese is awesome), I wanted to enjoy a fancier style grilled cheese. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with the classics. But every once in awhile it’s nice to try something new. And given that balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients, I thought I would give it a shot combining them. This is also a good way to sneak some onions and kale into your kids’ grilled cheese because the hint of sweetness from the balsamic vinegar will appeal to them.

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter

Ingredients

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

For the Grilled Cheese

  • 8 slices good quality bread (I’ve tried it with regular, but it certainly takes it up a notch if you use a heartier bread)
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 8 slices Rumiano Organic Mild Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 cups Kale

For the Caramelized Onions

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 large red onion
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Cook the caramelized onions

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter

  1. Cut onions into 1/8″ half circles
  2. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
  3. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes.
  4. Add the sugar and cook for 2-3 additional minutes.
  5. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally, on low heat for 5-10 minutes.

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter

Assemble the Grilled Cheese

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter
Hint: Mayo on the outside of the bread instead of butter gives a nice sweet flavor and is far less greasy than butter! Not to mention, slightly fewer calories!
  1. Spread the mayonnaise on one side of all eight bread slices.
  2. Assemble grilled cheese by stacking a piece of bread (mayo side facing out), slice of cheese, 1/4 of the caramelized onions, 1/4 of the kale leaves, a second slice of cheese, and another bread slice (mayo side facing out).
  3. Repeat until you have all 4 sandwiches assembled.
  4. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and place sandwiches in the skillet so that the mayo side is touching the skillet.
  5. Cook until the cheese begins to melt and the bread appears golden brown
  6. Flip each sandwich and cook until the other side is golden brown and the inside is melted to your liking.

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter

Variations

  • If you don’t like kale, you can opt for spinach instead, which goes perfectly with the balsamic vinegar.
  • Add some red pepper flakes or jalapenos for a sweet and spicy version.
  • Mustard pairs well with the balsamic flavor, so spread some on for a slightly acidic touch
  • Slice up some apples and add them for a sweeter grilled cheese

Balsamic & Kale Grilled Cheese Recipe | Bottles & Banter

Will You Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month With Us?

We hope so – you now have the perfect recipe! Let us know how you like the recipe or if you have another favorite fancy grilled cheese.

Scroll to Top