Mexican Pizza Recipe

Mexican Pizza Recipe | Bottles & Banter

Have you ever had a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell? I used to get them all the time when I was little and loved them. Now that I’m pregnant, I’ve been looking for healthier options. So we decided to try out a healthier version of Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza. It turned out great. It was filling, but not overly heavy feeling.

Full disclosure: We are still known to get a Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell once and a while. Judge away.

It’s also super simple to assemble and cook – perfect for weeknights. This recipe makes 4 pizzas, but feel free to halve it or multiply it for the number you need. We each ate our own, but you could share one for a lighter meal or snack. Try it out and let us know what you think.

Ingredients

Makes 4 pizzas

  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 8 flour tortillas (any size – we used 10 inch)
  • 2 (15 oz) cans black beans
  • 1 cup salsa (we used a fresh corn salsa to lighten it up)
  • 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 2/3 cup jalapeño peppers, diced
  • 2 avocados, coarsely chopped

Preparing Your Mexican Pizza

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat
  • Puree black beans in food processor or blender until smooth
  • In a large skillet, cook turkey and onions over medium high heat until meat is cooked through and onions are tender.
  • Drain grease and add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to the turkey/onion mixture.
  • Place 4 tortillas on the baking sheet (you may need more than one baking sheet depending on the size you use).
  • Cover each tortilla with a layer of beans and then a layer of the turkey/onion mixture.

Mexican Pizza Recipe | Bottles & Banter

    • Cover each with a second tortilla and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
    • Remove baking sheet from the oven and spread a layer of salsa on each tortilla stack followed by a layer of cheese.

Mexican Pizza Recipe | Bottles & Banter

      • Top with tomatoes and jalapeños and return to the oven and allow to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
      • Remove from the oven and sprinkle with avocado and cilantro.
      • Cut into slices and enjoy!

Mexican Pizza Recipe | Bottles & Banter

Scroll to Top