Have you ever had a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell? I used to get them all the time when I was little and loved them. Now that I’m pregnant, I’ve been looking for healthier options. So we decided to try out a healthier version of Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza. It turned out great. It was filling, but not overly heavy feeling.
Full disclosure: We are still known to get a Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell once and a while. Judge away.
It’s also super simple to assemble and cook – perfect for weeknights. This recipe makes 4 pizzas, but feel free to halve it or multiply it for the number you need. We each ate our own, but you could share one for a lighter meal or snack. Try it out and let us know what you think.
Makes 4 pizzas
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (any size – we used 10 inch)
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans
- 1 cup salsa (we used a fresh corn salsa to lighten it up)
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup jalapeño peppers, diced
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
Preparing Your Mexican Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Puree black beans in food processor or blender until smooth
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onions over medium high heat until meat is cooked through and onions are tender.
- Drain grease and add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to the turkey/onion mixture.
- Place 4 tortillas on the baking sheet (you may need more than one baking sheet depending on the size you use).
- Cover each tortilla with a layer of beans and then a layer of the turkey/onion mixture.
- Cover each with a second tortilla and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and spread a layer of salsa on each tortilla stack followed by a layer of cheese.
- Top with tomatoes and jalapeños and return to the oven and allow to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with avocado and cilantro.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!